Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Saturday, April 15, 2006

I'll have a triple tall decaf 2 pump vanilla skim no foam extra hot latte


I was at a Second Cup the other day waiting for my coffee date to show up. So, of course, in my free time I people watched. i quite enojoy watching people interact trying to figure out who is on a date and who are just good friends. Or what these people might be like outside of this little coffee shops. My eye happened to fall on two 40/50 year old men having coffee next to my table. And they both just seemed so awkward, forcing themselves to talk and being mildly amused by each other. I don't know quite how to explain it but their exchanges were all off time, their bodies looked upright and uncomfortable, it seemed like they were trying really hard to enjoy this time but to no avail. And I started to wonder if these men were having coffee only because it seems like society has told them that they want to do this. That they want to sit in a coffee shop and discuss their lives, what they are thinking etc. I recognize that my question to follow is loaded with gender stereotyping and trying to fit people into neat little categories saying "All guys are like [blank]" but bear with me anyway. Their exchanges were quite painful to watch. And yes, they might have not known each other very well and were trying to bond, I get that. but here is my question anyway.

Do guys enjoy going out for coffee with other guys and sharing about their lives or is something that they are told they SHOULD be able to do or SHOULD like doing? Is this some society inflicted activity or is it something most men would choose?

(BTW: if you haven't seen Coffee and Cigarettes (the movie the picture is from) it is a worthwhile cinematic moment)

3 comments:

IanShorten said...

The last part of your post made no sense. I didn't read the rest. I'm not in town. Literal?

Jacob said...

I don't know about guys in general, but I love to go out for coffee and talk with other guys. (Course it's nice to do this with girls too.) Actually for me the coffee part is optional, but most people seem to talk better while sipping over-priced caffeinated beverages.

Michelle said...

that so called 'coffee date' of yours must have been super hot.

or something.