Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Saturday, April 1, 2006

Don't you just hate pants?



Homer Simpson has asked himself that question many times. Well that's how I feel about shoes and socks for the most part.
But luckily - I got to wear sandals this week. sigh.

now some of you might not get care whether or not you are wearing sandals or shoes. But I love sandal weather and I love it so much I just might marry it. I like to wriggle my toes in freedom and without restriction. I will wear my sandals well into fall with a pair of warm wool socks and will resist the world of shoes as long as I can. So my feet are happy to be almost completely free. And on top of it being sandal weather it was also Spring Break this week.

I can't imagine what June must feel like...but it must be awesome because Spring Break feels pretty good. I don't think I had enough time to actually recover but it was nice to have a week off. I'm feeling the dread of going back, can't quite manage to think up a good lesson plan to teach about economic implications of imperialism on the imperialistic countries but i'm sure i'll figure something out.

But I got a chance to go to Calgary for some of the week. And got a chance to drive to Banff with my good friend Janess. How wonderful to see her and see her in the mountains. We sat at the Starbucks in Canmore with a lovely panoramic view of the mountains and then sat in the sun in a park in banff. the sun was so warm on my face and the wind smelled that lovely pine smell. So wonderful. It was exactly what I was hoping for. And I finished knitting my first ever sock. There is one more to go in the pair but it was good to feel like I could do it. now i can make them for other people and know that their feet are being kept warm even when I'm not there to warm them for them.

I've had a hankering to get to Starcreek Falls in the Crowsnest Pass recently. Wanted to hike up there, and enjoy the mist of a lovely waterfall. There are so many wonderous things in this world during the summer. There are beautiful things about the winter, but the winter is gone now and it's only up and up from here and I'm happy to see it go. I have such pessmistic tendancies though because part of me thinks, "Don't get too excited...it will be winter again soon enough." haha....oh well.
I'm happy it is spring, i am happy that life will come again to the world and inside of me. Spring just feels like a fresh start. A chance to try something new or try something again but without any expectation from things before. I don't know if that makes sense.
Spring also means that camp isn't too far away and then on to bigger and better plans like Nigeria perhaps! Whaaaa....insane to think about.
So things to do fully take spring in.

1. Drive through every puddle you can. Seriously, it's incredibly satisfying and I can't help but smile when I do it.
2. Wear sandals.
3. Look for the little specs of green that will begin to appear.
4. Sit outside in the sun and be still for a moment in the warmth. We're all in need of a little seratonin and Vitamin D.
5. Make sure to roll down your window and turn up your music. (of course maybe don't have the window down while you are driving through puddles.)
6. Buy someone a flower or two.
7. Take a moment to be thankful that you survived the winter months and there's nothing but sunny days ahead.

Here's to looking forward to being freckled and sunburned. And then hoping that the sunburn will turn into a tan.

3 comments:

steph said...

Amen to the sunburn turning into a tan! I love sandal weather as well. I fill with joy just thinking of slipping on my flip flops!

David Hengen said...

oh boy, you got me all excited for summer lisa. it was 20 yesterday and sunny, so i went to the driving range.

Carrie said...

That picture makes me happy, ooh i love this weather! The smells, the warmth, the almost dry rugby fields....mmm I love every little bit. And best of all...flip flops, those lovely little friends have not left my presence since the snow began to melt...my toes are so happy. I'm so happy! I think it's a good thing we live in a place with such a long winter because it really does make us appreciate this weather so much more. It's only about +10 and we all think it's so hot, tehe. Mmm, thanks Lisa!