Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Friday, February 24, 2006

To my dearest Phillip

My sister has a penguin and his name is Phillip and since it is her birthday I guess it might be safe to say it is his birthday today. yes, February 24th marks the day of another lovely person in my life and also marks the day for some new and exciting information. But first the birthday.
Beanie is a nice little sister although she calls me her little sister. She is bigger than me I guess and tougher but also very soft and chewy on the inside :) Just like a caramilk bar. And how claire gets the sweet and carmel-y stuff inside her is a mystery to us all.
She has a southern accent. she is a severe hotty. (see strongbad for this one) Claire also has the privilege of living in the same state as the once famous but never forgotten Davey Crockett. He was born on a mountaintop, Claire was born in a hospital, so they are not very much alike. But if Claire was pitted against a Tennessee bar (we call them bears up here) it would be a pretty good fight.
now the reality is that she probably won't even read this blog but it's out there for her to read if she does. but bean, i love you and happy birthday. come home to us soon, and stay canadian.

The other exciting news is that dear friends of mine have now allowed us to start telling people that they are going to have a kid. I have known for a month or more now but have not been able to tell people, so I will not reveal their names. first person to guess who it is will get a lovely hug the next time I see them. So....any takers?
I am still disappointed that no one has attempted to list all the songs that I have quoted on my blog. Do i have to promise the prize of a hot date with me or something? i have not offered that yet, just in case someone was going to hold me to that. Maybe i will have to. Or perhaps I will hold a contest of who can plan the most romantic date and whoever wins will be allowed to take me on that date. My parents friend held a contest where he asked a bunch of girls to make his pies and the best cook got to go on a date with him. How awesome is that. They ended up getting married by the way.

This is a horribly unconnected blog and this will be the last thing. But speaking of romantic type things, I have found the new romantic place to go in Edmonton. There is a new subdivision called Summerside and it has this whole beach front with docks and lights around the lake and sand and everything. I figure it must be the most romantic place to go and be in the summer, it was even nice in the winter for skating and such. So...there you go. keep it in mind for those of you that are looking for romantic date spots. it gains the Bennett stamp of approval.

9 comments:

Jacob said...

For a chance at a hot date, I would guess song lyrics. But I would not reveal my romantic date plans to just anyone. You would have to be a serious contender (if you know what I mean) to get your hands on those.

drytona said...

Hey, I really liked your post about those fun things.

Come on down to my website some time and check out all my info about those fun things.

David Hengen said...

lisa, the "i just made you say underwear" is from the song "one week" by the barenaked ladies.
hope your happy.

bcakes said...

thanks d-heng, that's one of them although there are more. maybe we can go on a hot date sometime :)

drytona said...

Sorry for the intrusion, but I believe that while the aforementioned quote does belong to those Scantily Clad Women, it is most definitely not in the song "One Week". In truth the quote belongs to the song "Pinch Me", a lovely little ditty.

Thanks.

Next Wednesday. Pick me up at 8. Leave your inhibitions at the door.

drytona said...

Actually, heck, let's do this whole thing.

While the quote "Hey, Unto you a child is born" is not originally from any song I know, it is a quote from young Gladys Herdman in the lovable Christmas story The Best Christmas Pageant Ever and I though maybe I could get extra marks for that. (Or maybe extra kisses.)
The quotes "the star I've hitched my wagon to is very obviously you" and "Of thee I sing, baby, Summer, autumn, winter, spring, baby. You're my silver lining, You're my sky of blue; There's a love light shining, All because of you." are both from the well-known musical "Of Thee I Sing" by that famous Gershwin pair in the early 30's.
The next quote, "Country Roads", is a snippet from the beloved John Denver song "Take Me Home, Country Roads" that established Denver as an important figure in the early 70's.
Your next quote, "don't the hours grow shorter as the days go by" is from a song ("Lovers in a Dangerous Time") originally written and performed by classic Canadian Bruce Cockburn, though more recently covered and made more popular by those same Barenaked Ladies as before. (I bet you were listening to that version.)
You next quoted "the Big Leagues" which is, of course, from lovable Tom Cochrane and his Red Rider, in the song of almost the same name, "Big League".
Next you have "525 miles 600 minutes" which, while it is not a direct quote, is a neat little play on a quote from the theme song from the musical Rent that actually says "525 thousand 600 minutes". Witty.
Following that, there is the quote which we just had a little discussion about above this comment, so I'll leave that to you.
This one's not really real, but you did say "scream at the top of my lungs" which, though it was likely unintentional, is a direct quote from "No Such Thing" by the lovely John Mayer.
"Celebrate, celebrate, dance to the music" is a quote from the song "Celebrate" originally put out by Three Dog Night, though later covered by Uriah Heep. However, I'm confident you were intending to quote Three Dog Night, 'cause that's just the kinda girl you are.
Now, as far as I can tell, at least upon this first brief read-through, that is all of the song quotes you done. Right on.
So. Let's date.

Oh yeah, almost forgot: Jeff and Ruth.

bcakes said...

you win daytona you win. wow, that was amazing. you have made my day. here i was looking for a list and i get a full blown explanation. seriously, you are just in a different league than anyone else. truly amazing. and although i didn't officially promise it, looks like you win a date.
wednesday, 8:00. i don't think i have any inhibitions. but it will be fun. it will.

David Hengen said...

shoot

Jonas said...

B-Cakes;

I never read your web-log, but I heard there was a plug for Daytona's web-log on here, so I just had to rush over at once and see it. And boy was it worth my time!

Jonas