Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Monday, September 18, 2006

bonneville




So guys I'm back from the Bonneville Salt Flats. What a uniquely wild experience. The car that I'm in there went 250 m/p back in the sixties and now they're trying to get the record back. It was in the movie "The World's Fastest Indian" as well. They have a 55 gallon tank of water in the back of the car to cool the engine while it runs. Gail drives it, but unfortunately the water system shut down during her run and she blew a piston and then that was it, her time in Bonneville was over.

At Bonneville you talk about cars all day. I talked about cars for five days straight, you know about air intake manifold systems, how to get more speed for each gear, pistons blowing, rear suspension, traction, conditions for highest speeds....you know regular talk for me in my world. :)

It was pretty cool to see a motorbike go 208 miles per hour. It's important that you recognize that I'm talking in miles. There was a GMC motorhome that went 102 m/h, some streamliners going 300 m/h or more, crazy mamba jamba goat carters with no roll cage or suspension going 108-130 m/h. And I even saw someone run a two toned blue van like the Tomalty's beauty. it's worth seeing, it's a great experience.

The salt is amazing and looks like snow the way it piles up underneath the cars. But it makes for a hot day with a hot utah sun shining down on you and then that same heat being reflected back on you from the glistening white surface below.

I'm really glad i went. It was a much needed break and distance from the old e-town and things that go on here.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

that looks like party.

I like the first picture. It's very joyous.

Missed you at focus...

David Hengen said...

i want to go to the salt flats to race. it looks so smooth.

crippled said...

one time I went 100 miles/h in my stationwagon, then the air conditioner broke and my car starting smoking, dont worry I turned off the ac and the car still works fine.