Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Sweaters

"But I understand that my family is like this old sweater - it keeps unraveling, but then someone figures out how to sew it up one more time; it has lumps and then it unravels again, but you can still wear it; and it still keeps away the chill."

This is taken from the book traveling Mercies by Anne Lamott. I will indeed find some of my own words to put on here. However, I have found myself thinking about this little quote for the past few days. It seems appropriate to speak of sweaters now that the wind has turned cold and September is upon us. Typing that out makes me sad to think that summer has come and gone. The irreversibility of the season is heart breaking somehow, to know that you cannot stop the change. That these leaves will turn a most beautiful gold and orange and fall to the ground, that people will begin school again, that things will die in order to make room for new things to grow. Every gust of wind that blows outside my window brings with it a little more cool, a little more crispness to the nights. And I cannot hold on to the summer because it has turned cold now. Summer is no more.

Perhaps I have grown sentimental as i leave my parents house. i have lived in this house longer than anyone else in my family, 18 years. But now i don't live there anymore. Seems like one should move out in spring when all the world is coming alive but i have chosen fall. The fall is beautiful, don't get my wrong. But there's something delicious about the melancholy of it all.

"Creation screams in amber and crimson that it won't be taken by death.
It stands in silent protest until icy fingers takes its voice.
Like so many before them,
In the struggle of the ages.
Yet smiling they resign knowing that resurrection lies within their smallest seed."

i guess there are lots of thoughts in this post that are not necessarily connected at all. But thanks for reading anyway.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I still rejoice in the fall. I'm glad it's here. I have waited for it to come. :)

I like sweaters. and cozy scarves.

We should have coffee.

I like you

Jillian said...

"...that things will die in order to make room for new things to grow"

that was significant for me to read. heart breakingly beautiful. i enjoy your thoughts.

("i've been higher than the high sierra, lower than death valley must be. i've been right, mostly wrong. wrong about you right about me" heehee.)