Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Pardeep

Pardeep is the name of the man that works at the Mac’s down the street from my house. He has worked there for at least the last five years. I remember when my roommates and I used to frequent that Mac’s on a regular basis and every night Pardeep would say good-bye with the usual, “Thank you, come again.” But on one night he said to me, “Thank you, see you tomorrow.” I was so embarrassed but the thing is…it was true. I would be there the next night for another Eatmore and a slurpee. I like him though. He always tries to sell me more stuff than I want to buy. You know, “two chocolate bars for 1.79” or something like that. But I just laugh and smile and say no. He is definitely the stereotypical Mac’s store clerk.

I have got to visit Pardeep a lot recently and have begun to idealize the Mac store clerk life. I like the idea of watching people. Knowing what people's secret delights or addictions are...you know? Only Pardeep knows about my recent switch in favorite candy bar. (see future blog about that) But he will also know the lady that comes in a buys a certain chocolate bar every day with a certain beverage, or which business man can't get enough dino-saurs, or the exact proportion of someone's slurpee. i don't know, for some reason these types of jobs appeal to me. Just like working at a video store.

I have a unique relationship with the Sneak Preview workers. We have these intimate conversations about life and movies and work and whatever else, but i have no idea what their names are. I recently saw one of them outside of the video store and of course we both knew each other, it was a funny moment but good that we varified to each other that we indeed have lives outside of movies. Sometimes I wish they didn't know me because when I return a video ridiculously late i feel ashamed that i have let my friends down at Sneak Preview....but they're quite understanding, like those random stranger friends should be.

No comments: