Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Thursday, March 2, 2006

In the underground

I was taking the LRT today, reading my book, listening to my iPod....effectively I was in my own little world. At one of the stops an older lady in a blue parka got on and sat down across from me. I smiled at her and she smiled back and then I realized she was talking to me. So I took out my earphones and listened to her talk for a few moments. Then she asked me, "What nationality are your parents? You are so fair." I told her that my ancestry would come from the british isles and that most people often think I am dutch. "Well", she said, "you look sweet". I giggled to myself and she proceeded to tell me that I looked so young and that she couldn't believe i was a teacher, etc.

And then her stop came and as she was getting up she said, "Well, Enjoy life. You have a beautiful face and a beautiful smile." And then she was gone. It was the strangest experience. I had some strange feeling that I was going to cry by how lovely a thing that was to say. Who says things like that to total strangers?

The entire situation lasted maybe 2 minutes. And as I watched her hobble off the LRT, I was reminded of the verse that some people have entertained angels and not known it. maybe she wasn't an angel but it warmed my heart. and i think that's all i could hope for from meeting an angel.

4 comments:

David Hengen said...

thats so awesome. that story gave me the tingles.

Anonymous said...

that was lovely

Aaron Wong said...

wicked post man

AJ Wilgus said...

I had a similar experience on the bus last month - I will never forget that lady and we only spoke for 10 minutes. I also considered hebrews 13:2. it's sort of neat to think about.

Jenna