Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Thursday, November 9, 2006

There's gotta be something more

That line from Switchfoot has been running through my brain this morning and many times recently. Do you ever ask yourself that? And I don't mean out of a disatisfaction with all the things God has given us, but rather....am I really living this abundant life that God has called us too. Now maybe I have too much stuff and I would be happier if I didn't. Maybe it is a ploy by the devil to keep us from serving God in our every day lives...i haven't finished Screwtape Letters yet, maybe it talks about that.

I just think sometimes that God has called me to more than I am living, you know "farther up and further in". In some sort of deeper life, something more intimate with him. And yet it can seem so nebulous at times. I'm not sure how to get there. There is always something that I can be doing more of, more prayer, more bible reading, more usefulness with my time. I recognize I am not perfect in those areas and such.

However, I just don't know quite how to get to that point. How do I run after God in this spiritual sense, it feels sometimes as if i cannot get my brain and feet to match and begin the walk.

I am encouraged when I hear of people experiencing God in a new way, that are excited about loving people. It excites me to hear it.

This life we live in God is not straight forward and often clouded in mystery but it is a beautiful thing that he calls us to. A death of ourselves and a movement ahead in the reality that we are new creations.

I guess I fall into the category of wanting to feel it, and perhaps feeling it is not an option right now.

You'll have to allow me a moment of cheezyness here but... I see my walk with God as something like riding a horse, that ultimate freedom and speed. The wind rushing by and the elation that follows. Or even like those scenes in Rescuers Down Under where they ride on the back of the great Golden Eagle. That giving up to someone else and just allowing them to carry you through endless skies. Sometimes I feel pretty heavy. And I'm not sure why.

I think that's why I love those different scenes in the Narnia Chronicles where they ride Aslan and he runs so quick over forrest, or when they ride the Unicorns or horses with such great speed and exhiliration. Those passages always stirred something inside me. I have found myself wanting to do that. And that is where you find me on a november morning.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my favorite part of the Narnia books is that "furter up and further in" part. I could read it forever. It's such a wonderful picture, swimming up a waterfall without effort, running faster than a bullet without breaking a sweat... just thinking about it lifts you up to a place where you want to be, where perhaps you should be..

i think WANTING to be in a place like this is the beginning. I have found that in life you will desire things and long and wait and it will be so frustrating and you will feel so dry... but sometimes there just isn't anything to do but wait. We put so much importance on the arriving part, we miss the journey. And if we can arrive, which in some things is never possible, it usually comes when we least expect it.

Life is beautiful. I feel such relief right now and it's wonderful. Times like this are few and far between in life lately... wow.

love you LIsa

eric said...

I have nothing productive and helpful to say, proceed with caution... Lisa, that really pushed my limits of allowable cheesyness, watch it.

S Wilson said...

Oh lisa.

Tomahawk said...

Ah yes, I believe the bird you refer to is Marahute, the white-bellied sea eagle

bcakes said...

manahute...that's it tomahawk.thanks.

steve: what kind of post was that?

eric: i will be cheezy all i like :)

michigan: thanks for your thoughts.