Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Monday, November 20, 2006

Rain

We watched a Nooma video entitled Rain last night at Focus. I really love those videos, I mean partly because Rob Bell is in them but also because they tell great stories.

The Rain story was about a dad and his baby boy that get caught in the rain while on a hike. The dad pulls his hood up on himself and the baby but the baby pulls his hood off. And as the rain gets stronger and the winds blow harder the baby begins to scream and scream. Until his dad takes his out of the baby back-pack and hold the baby tight to his chest and starts saying over and over and over again, "I love you buddy. We're gonna make it. Daddy knows the way home."

And he just tells the kid over and over and over again, holding him as tight as he can and running as fast as he can out of the storm. You need to see the video because I definitely don't do it justice here but that picture of God holding us tight and repeatedly saying to us, "I love you. We're going to make it. Daddy knows the way home." it was so much of what I needed to hear. An image i needed burned into my brain. Remembering that God does indeed hear the cry of his people and if holding us close bringing us through this time. And he delights in being able to carry us through that.

It was what i needed to hear last night. I'm thankful I went. I'm thankful that those Focus people that put on the service. i'm thankful that we serve a God worthy of our praise and big enough to sort things out. I woke up this morning feeling very thankful, thankful for the sunrise and thankful for coke that I will consume shortly to keep me awake today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How incredibly moving! We take for granted that we are God's child. I think that too often we consider ourselves wise and mature. It's comforting to know that despite my adult responsibilities I can be a child in my Father's arms.

Thanks for the reminder Lisa.

Courtney