Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Yet Another Salute


My grandfather is a lovely man who cherishes hard work, smart living, wisdom with money, family, God, and most of all his granddaughters. My grandfather has had the lucky fortune of having 11 granddaughters. He loves it. If we meet him at some church get together and give him a hug or kiss him on the cheek, he will turn to whoever he is talking with and pretend he doesn't know who we are, and makes some comment about still having charm with the ladies....even as an old man.

He says shocking things because he can because he's old. And so he will definitely try and get your goat if you're paying attention. He will make his funny comment and then give just a small little smile and a wink with his bright blue eyes.

My grandfather sold me my car for half the price we had agreed on. When I went to write the cheque to him he just pretended we had agreed on the lower price and then smiled and winked.
He definitely seems gruff to some people but there is such a lovely heart hidden in him. I have heard countless stories of him giving people work that had moved to Edmonton and helping them out when they needed it.

My grandfather supervised the building of the Hudson's Bay Building downtown when he was 24 years old. His company also built the Glenmore Reservoir and built a hydro dam that allowed Yellowknife to have electricity for the first time. And they made the trip by using caterpillars that pulled large sleighs that they rode in.

He has travelled the world and taken care of his family. Worked hard and helped out many people. Seems like he has lived a good life. And he's a heck of a Sequence and Rummicube player.

I love my grandfather. And over the last while he has become weaker and weaker but everytime I see him he looks me right in the eyes, holds onto my hand and says, "You know I love you right?" And everytime it makes me cry. I don't know why I cry, you would think it would make me happy to hear it but I cry. It's how my body gets out that emotion that wells up within me. It touches me very deep inside and makes me feel like a little kid.

Tonight I went to see my grandpa and I tucked him into bed, made sure he was warm and kissed him goodnight. Quite a reversal of roles. He told me he loved me before he went to sleep and I managed not to cry for my grandma's sake.

Lately Grandpa has been telling me that he is cold and very tired. But he still smiles at me, even if he is a little less spry these days.

My sister is planning a flight home to see him, which means that there isn't a lot of time left. Which is why he needs a salute. There are many things to salute him for but I will keep it simple.

So....
Grandpa, I salute you. I salute you for not forgetting to tell me that you love me. For taking care of your family in many different ways. For 92 good years of life. For having the kindest blue eyes that I have ever seen.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

that was a lovely salute Lisa

bcakes said...

thanks michigan.

Anonymous said...

Hey Lisa,

I type with tears in my eyes. You are blessed to have a Grandfather who cares so deeply for his family. To greet you with "I love you" and to say farewell in the same manner. Cherish it and pass it on friend.

Take care,

Courtney