Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Lego

Last night I went and tried out my friends Tim and Shelly's church. It's all hip and cool because it's on Saturday nights. Tim and Shelly have four boys that I have played lego with a few times while visiting their house.

I was sitting looking after Jessie during the service. Jessie is four years old. While the pastor was praying Jessie tugged on my arm and said,
"Are you coming to my house after church?"
Me: "No, I Don't think so." (because I hadn't been invited or whatever)
Jessie: "Why not?"
Me: "Well I think I might just go home."
Jessie: "You haven't been to my house in a long time. I miss you."
Me: "Well I was there the other night but you were asleep."
Jessie: "Why did you come when I was asleep, I'm not allowed to play lego when I'm asleep."

That was the whole conversation because we were supposed to be praying. But I thought to myself that that is a little snippet of what church is supposed to be. Jessie wasn't embarrassed to say he missed me or to persist that I spend sometime with him. He just genuinely wanted to play some lego. No one made him say it, he meant it. And he wasn't overwhelming or anything, he just wanted to play because he likes me. I didn't feel like playing lego with him would "take" anything from me, it would just be playing. I haven't played with people in a long time.

It made me feel loved inside. It made the new church not feel as awkward. And even though life is weird right now, I know that i have an open ended invitation to a date with a four year old to play star wars lego and visit his guinea pig.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome :)

bcakes said...

thanks dan. nice to know someone reads this :)
stay tuned and you will see the results of our conversation at church. i'm not being inconsistent with what i said. don't worry.

Anonymous said...

i like lego

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
Thanks for playing with me and Kathryn on Sunday (I have posted a few of the pictures already!)