Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

The Big Leagues

I needed to make a very important decision yesterday and so I headed to the swimming pool. I find swimming so soothing because it gives me a chance to clear my head in the silence under the water. The rhythm of the laps helps to calm a racing mind and like I said, clarity is found.

On an average day I will swim sometime in the morning. The people that frequent YMCA ’s in the middle of the day are quite specific, they are 65+ or 4-. The very small ones do not enjoy the showers and spend most of their time running in and out of those tiled rooms,shriekingg with delight at the fuss they are making by being difficult. These little kids are as naked as the day they were born, so the spectacle is much more fun to watch. "Naked Child A" runs by your locker following two seconds later by mom. They make me laugh. And I enjoy the chance to talk with them about their Dora the Explorer shoes or that they are two years old, even though they held up four fingers when I asked them. The mornings sound pleasant but beware the evenings. It’ s the Big Leagues at night.

The intense swimmers emerge in the evenings, like vicious nocturnal animals. They are those psycho and intense athletes with biceps the size of small children, or at least the size of my waist. And they seem to believe they are God's gift to the swim lane. I spent most of my laps trying to avoid being run over by these guys (I would not call them gentlemen).

In the a.m. I am a stellar swimmer. I glide by those grandfathers with the ease of a schooner on a calm day, gracefully pulling myself through the water. Like an Olympic gold medalist. I chat with the seniors and let me tell you, I am charming. But last night was all about survival. I struggled to stay with the pace of the lane because the people from Generation Bicep are swimming machines. No time to be charming when you are choking on water trying to keep up with them. My competitive nature reared it's ugly head last night while I swam. I wanted to show those gronks. I almost had an asthma attack because of it.

So, you might ask if I managed to make the decision. No I did not. I need to decide by the end of today and I have no idea. But the day is young. There are still a few hours to think. I’m not an impulse buyer and so making a decision over one night it too quick for me. I can’t do it. Both side of the decision hold a risk. i'm not old enough to be making a decision about my career! What do they think I am? An Adult?!?! Are they in for a sorry surprise or what. I was concerned about a decision i had made and my friend told me that he always trusts my decisions because I make good ones. I rarely trust my decisions. Ugh! My dad suggested I toss a coin. If it gets to that point I just might. Or perhaps I will construct a Urim and Thumin. Worked for the Israelites.

Conclusion: I’m not ready for the Big Leagues yet.

No comments: