Reading

  • The Writings of the New Testament
  • The Pursuit of God - Tozer

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

brains with a hint of honesty

i need a latch for my brain where i can remove it from my head and rest it somewhere else for a while. you see i tend to analyze and analyze things and they just go around and around in my brain. relational situations with people have such a strong effect on me, and most of the time I can't even figure out why they effect me like they do. people tell me to just stop thinking about it but sometimes i just can't make my brain stop. i try and do well for a while and then i get tired and give up and the thoughts flood my brain.

so my new solution is that i will just remove my brain, place it in a jar, perhaps add a lemon for freshness, maybe get a creepy light to put underneath it. and there it will rest. i can reply on my medula oblongata for a while, just breathing and heart beat for me. no thoughts. no more thinking.

i leave for arizona in three days and I don't remember the last time i felt so in need of a get away, or the last time I felt so excited to step away from edmonton for a bit. in the words of bilbo "I feel thin— sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday, a very long holiday and I don't expect to return, in fact I mean not to." now, don't worry my two readers, i will be back.

it's frustrating not being able to sort things out or heal situations. i wish i could and i think that's why i think about them so much because i figure there has to be a way to make these things all better soon. why do things have to take time and space? hmmm? i know that's the right answer, just frustrating sometimes.

but.....i think in arizona people don't have brains and I'm excited to experience this wonder just for a bit. and then when I come back I can put my brain back in and see what it has sorted out while I've been gone.

now are things as bad as they seem. probably not. there's that line from Rosie Thomas "Things will soon come around I swear, And you'’ll have it all figured out, Never really worry for a bit , Sometimes it feels worse then it really is"

But if you're feeling like me, let's both try and keep these words of Jesus on our hearts,
"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls." Matthew 11:28-29

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am feeling much the same way, and am also going on a trip to soothe my soul, I take leave for Vancouver in a few days. The bible verse you supplied happens to be my favorite one too.
Enjoy Arizona, I hope you find what your looking for there!